Friday, September 21, 2012

Day 1: Beginnings and "Aqua Door" print

This is Day 1 of my plan to post one photo every day for a year. This doesn't mean that I'll actually "take" a photo every day, for that isn't my goal. The goal is just to post one, for what I'm really trying to encourage myself to do with this project is to dig back into my collection of old photos and take some time to revisit them, first just to "air them out" and eventually to begin expermenting with some painterly approaches to them ...

For today, I've uploaded a photo from a long ago European trip. I think this is from France, but I'm not sure. I need to unearth my little logbook that keeps track of what was taken where. This photo, I'd already done some manipulation with photoshop. It's been so long ago, I don't recall exactly what I'd done, and then I'd printed it onto white cardstock. This is a scan of that piece.

Part of the goal of this project is that I plan to return to Europe in April. And to revisit the idea of photographing windows and walls, gates and gardens. And this time, I'd like to go beyond simply capturing the scene with naked photography. This time, I want to take the raw images and manipulate them with painterly approaches. Meaning paint and other media. And photo transfer techniques, including those that simulate polaroid transfers. I'd like to test out transfers using citric acids, Elmers Glue, and iron on transfers to transfer the photos to canvas, then to be painted over with brush or palette knife for globby gobby affects.

So there's day 1. Simply a photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment